A Travellerspoint blog

Last Full Day of the Cruise

Friday, 26 September 2014

View 2015-02 South America on greynomadm's travel map.

I didn't sleep too well and wasn't motivated to look for a sunrise. When we finally went up to the Horizon Court both the sky and the sea were a nothing grey. My hand is still painful and my ability at the keyboard has taken a backward step add to that an almost totally closed right eye and preparing this blog is more of a challenge than it normally is.

Most of the morning is taken up with administrative tasks, like what pieces of paper to keep and what to throw out. I've no doubt kept more than I'll ever need. Spent some time reconciling the on-board account and confirming that all entries are correct. One of the facilities on this ship is the ability to view the account on-line on the internal network.

At about 11:00 there was a "Man Overboard" announcement from the bridge. There was no "For Exercise, For Exercise" prefix so it was the real deal. I was in the cabin so didn't witness the reaction of the crew but Jenny was on Deck 7 and saw them through buoys and markers overboard. We were then instructed to return to our cabins so that a physical "Head Count"could be conducted. The room stewards knocked on each door and verified the presence of each passenger. Shops were closed, the ship was terned around and the rescue boat launched. According to witnesses the whole operation ran like clockwork - as far as the crew was concerned at least. There's a story going round that one woman in the casino wouldn't leave the slot machine - "My husband knows where I am, he'll tell them !!"

Despite small set-backs like that the count was completed, the reported object identified as a fishnet marker and the captain announced that all was well and we were back on course. Two other ships in the area were also alerted and they diverted to join the search if it had been necessary.
With that excitement over, we went to lunch (for the last time) and returned to the cabin to start packing our bags. I experienced some difficulty and not all of it attributable to my injured hand. The straps must have shrunk.

At 16:15 I went back to the Medical Centre for a follow-up consultation with the Doctor. He ascertained that any pain I was still feeling was within expectation and was pleased at how well the various scrapes and scratches were healing. He was surprised I was wearing glasses and I told him I carry a spare pair. He was impressed at that and also when I showed him our own dressings on the bigger cuts. We've learnt to be self-sufficient in many things when cruising. He handed me an envelope containing his notes and a CD of my X-rays. There was also an additional bill for almost $200. First class experience even if it comes at a price.

Off to dinner and farewell to Carol and Ray and our regular waiters. Back to the cabin to finish this blog. I didn't even pick up the camera today. Not sure that I could operate it. So I've uploaded an image from yesterday morning - before the fall. The image is at [http://365project.org/tonydebont/365/2014-09-26]

Time back another hour and New York tomorrow. Next blog entry will be from the hotel.

Have a great day and stay well.
Cheers .. Tony

Posted by greynomadm 16:47 Archived in USA

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint